Health Canada has imposed new regulations on corded shades in Canada. This will apply to all custom and store-bought shades. More specifically, shades cannot have any accessible cords or chains longer than 22cm (8 inches) which may pose a strangulation hazard.
Hemme will only offer compliant shades based on the new regulations.
Options and Alternatives:
Hemme offers the following options. The new systems will be priced accordingly and will differ from our pricing in the past.
- Regulation Approved Fabric Roman Shades: We are working with a local supplier to use a system that meets the regulations and has no exposed cords longer than 22cm.
- Cordless Shades: We are working on bringing in a completely cordless system that meets our standard of quality. Please note: A non-motorized cordless shade needs to be reachable in order to open and close.
- Motorized Fabric Shades: We can use a motorized system instead of corded, please note that the motorized option carries a premium price point and will have a longer lead time because each headrail is customized and imported from the US. This is a great solution for hard-to-reach windows.
- Stationary "Faux" Romans: We make many of these already! If you do not need a function shade, a faux Roman is a completely cordless and cost-effective option. It also works great with a roller shade tucked behind for functionality (see next point).
- Cordless Roller Shades: Roller shades are a simple solution with a clean look, if you miss the look of a fabric shade, you can add a faux Roman to finish the look and hide the roller cassette. We offer roller shades with a linen-like look in different opacities.
- Drapery: If drapery is suitable for your window, it is a tried and true window treatment without cords. In case you haven't heard, we make really good drapes!
- Café Curtains: These having been popping up all over instagram as a stylish solution with a traditional twist. They provide light on the top half and privacy on the lower half. They are also cost-effective as there is not as much fabric needed to create them.
Frequently Asked Questions:
I have an older quote for a Roman shade, will you still honour it?
Hemme will not make any products that are not compliant but please reach out and we can update the estimate for a shade that is compliant.
Can I buy corded shades from the US and bring them to Canada?
Canada border agents can confiscate any corded window coverings that do not meet the regulation. They can also block the import of shades purchased online and shipping to Canada. The US is also implementing similar regulations in the near future.
I have corded window coverings in my house, are they illegal to have in our home?
Existing shades in your home are not illegal but it is strongly recommended that you follow the safety recommendations from Health Canada:
- Always keep cords out of reach.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and read all warnings.
- Never place cribs, beds, and playpens near a window where a child could reach a cord.
- Do not place any piece of furniture that a child can climb, near a window with a corded shade.
- Securely attach tension devices supplied with corded window coverings to the wall.
- Install a cleat or tie-down device up high on the wall and use it to keep cords out of reach.
- Never tie knots in cords. Immediately untie any knots that form accidentally. Remove any devices that form dangling loops, whether at the bottom, middle, or top of the cords.
Feel free to contact us anytime if you have questions.